Herbal Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is an ancient grain that is a nutritional powerhouse, in that it is a whole grain and a protein source. Vary your added herb and vegetables and you have a new dish each time.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
1 cup dry organic quinoa
2 cups purified water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon each fresh thyme & marjoram, chopped
1/2 medium cucumber, chopped small, peel if the skin is bitter
2 stalks celery, minced
1 scallion, minced
1 tablespoons green olives, chopped (optional)
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the quinoa, water and salt to a boil.
- Cover and turn to lowest heat. Cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let quinoa steam for 5 more minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the other ingredients.
- In a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- When the quinoa has finished steaming fluff it with a fork.
- Transfer the hot quinoa into the bowl.
- Gently mix the quinoa into the vegetables. Chill before serving.