Your overall health is critically dependent upon a healthy digestive system. I’ve written before about gas and other tummy troubles. We also know today that the bacteria in the gut helps regulate all sorts of body functions, so giving your digestive system some TLC in springtime us a wonderful gift to your health. Ancient traditions understood this - think Lent and Passover - and practiced austerity in the transition to warmer weather.
If you are prone to Spring allergies, now is the time to cut back on any congestion causing foods like cheese and dairy. Greens, plentiful in Spring, have an astringent quality to them and can dry up the results of mucus causing foods you may have been eating in the Winter.
Simple Cleansing Steps
In a nutshell, here’s what to do:
1. Spring clean your cabinets and refrigerator, tossing outdated or unhealthy foods
2. Make a menu plan that includes copious amounts of vegetables coming into season:
asparagus, dandelion greens, chard, kale, spring peas (notice they are all green)
3. Plan your meals by the weather: cool and rainy - soup; warm and sunny - salad
4. Get outside every day for natural Vitamin D
5. Get moving - gentle stretching, walking, playing a sport
6. Divide your weight in half; drink that much water in ounces
and You need foods that put a spring in your step!
Someone asked me the other day if a cleanse requires colonics. The answer is a definite no. You can see other questions I’ve been asked about cleansing if you’re curious about the experience.
When Should i Start a Spring Cleanse?
Although Spring officially begins on March 20th here in New England Spring weather isn't consistently Spring-like until late in April. You can tell it's time to cleanse when you see a good amount of green sprouting up in the woods and in your garden, when the grass is slowly greening up, and when you see the hint of buds on your trees. The ground should be muddy, not hard, and the air should feel damp. These are classic signs of Spring.
What Benefits Can I Expect?
A good Spring cleanse should show these positives:
1. Less bloating and slimmer waist
2. Reduction in phlegm in the lungs and sinuses
3. Allergy relief
4. Increased energy
My annual Spring Cleanse will begin on Saturday, April 21st. More information and registration here. I invite you to join in this transformational experience, one that you can easily work into your day to day life.