Some of you asked - so now I’m sharing how I work out my food.
Here’s what I do pretty much every day. It works and puts an end to ever dieting and rarely stepping on the scale. Things seem to stabilize with this formula as long as lifestyle habits stay the same
- First thing in the morning I have a glass of water before I have anything else
- I eat breakfast. Always. Almost always at home.
- I keep my cabinets stocked with whole grains, nuts, beans, oils and vinegars, herbs and spices
- I keep fresh fruit on the counter
- Onions and garlic are on the counter too
- Fresh vegetables are in the refrigerator - I buy them a couple of times weekly
- My evening meal takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare
- I don’t have second helpings
- I eat slowly, just like I talk
- I keep a water pitcher on my counter as a reminder to drink
- I never drink soda but will have a glass of wine or occasional beer
- Ice cream, a favorite pleasure, is always a small serving topped with walnuts
- I change my food with the seasons - soups and stews in winter, salads and fish in summer
- If I follow a recipe it has to be uncomplicated and subject to substitutions that are in the cabinet
- I keep small containers (Japanese tea cups) to use for my walnut and raisin snack
- Dinner is my last food of the day except for tea
- In restaurants I’choose an app, ask what vegetables they have (they almost always do but assume you don’t want them unless you ask) ; I’ll take a container home
- At a buffet I’ll look over the whole table before I make my choices
This might seem like a lot at first blush but it’s really very simple. Now it’s your turn. Please share what you do to make healthy eating work for you. Slow cooker? Awesome sautee pan? Special way of organizing? Share your brilliance!
Want some easy recipes? Go here and scroll through for your next easy meal.