A soup that's rich in beta-carotene and has the anti-inflammatory properties of ginger is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It's very easy to make; just leave time for it to cool a bt before you place it in a blender to puree.
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
pinch cayenne pepper 1 lb. carrots, thinly sliced
1 large sweet potato, thinly sliced 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
5-6 cups water or vegetable stock salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot. Add the onion and a pinch of salt.
Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger and cayenne. Cook for 8-10
minutes - until onions are very soft. Add a little water if it sticks to the pan.
3. Add the carrots, sweet potato, 1 teaspoon salt and 5 cups water or stock.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the
carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth, using extra water if necessary.
6. Return soup to the pot. Add the orange juice and season to taste with
salt, pepper and cayenne. Thin with more water until it reaches the desired