One of my clients recently asked for this recipe - it's one we did in a cooking class many years ago and became one of her family favorites.
Lentil Salad serves 4
1 1/2 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, peeled and cut in half
3 cloves garlic, whole
1/2 cup red onion, finely minced
1 fennel bulb, quartered, cored and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1 cup arugula or spinach, torn into bite size pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan place the lentils, water, bay leaf,
carrot and whole garlic.
2. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes,
until lentils are just soft.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir and remove from heat. Let them sit
for 10 minutes. The salt will firm up the lentils, which is good for salad.
Drain the lentils.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients except the arugula or spinach in a large bowl..
5. Add the drained lentils to the vegetables and thoroughly combine. Add
salt and pepper to taste. Add the arugula just before serving.