National Kale Day is October 7th
With cooler weather on the way, here's a great way to have salad that will warm you up.
- 3 organic Fuji apples, cored and each cut into 8 wedges
- 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 Tbs. organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch Lacinato or Tuscan kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size
- 1/2 bunch purple or Russian kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size
- 4 oz. mixed baby greens, such as chard, arugula or spinach
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Preheat an oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a bowl, toss the apples with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil and season lightly with salt. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the apples are softened and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots and mustard. Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 Tbs. olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the kale and baby greens with the apples and vinaigrette. Top with the pomegranate seeds and serve immediately. Serves 8.