1 cup millet grains 1 t. salt
3 cups water
- Combine millet, salt, and water in a 2-quart (2 liter) saucepan.
- Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat down to low and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and set aside for 15 minutes without lifting lid.
2 lbs. Roma plum tomatoes, chopped 1 large onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 dashes ground cinnamon 1 or 2 dashes ground cloves
1 t. ground cumin 1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 to 1 t. salt Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. chopped fresh chives, basil, or thyme 2 T. toasted pumpkin seeds
- Combine tomato sauce ingredients in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until soft and broken down, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- To Serve: Spoon millet into a large bowl or casserole. Ladle some of the tomato sauce over the top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and pumpkin seeds, and serve remainder of the sauce at the table. Serves 4 to 6.